Monday, May 16, 2011

Welcome to the Chicago breakfast club, Kanela

Kanela Breakfast Club

3231 N. Clark ave {Clarke + S. of Aldine}
(773) 248-1622

Tired of the same 'ol homemade pancakes and eggs? I am. Thank god I tried Kanela. I was pleasantly surprised with how great this brunch spot is. The baked potatoes side was top notch and most memorable. These potatoes were easily in the top 5 for what our city has to offer. Crisp, petite, baked with fresh herbs, and not at all greasy.
It's easy to say the turnover from Orange to Kanela (Greek word that translates to cinnamon) was a great move. Kanela will please all brunch-goers but serves up classics with an international spin. All of the brunch fair has hints of Greek flavors scattered throughout their options, think freshly whipped feta, fresh basil, and loads of colorful peppers. Lamb at breakfast? Sure why not? Get a freshly baked pastry served with Julius Meinl coffee, sit back and enjoy a great brunch.
The service was timely and warm. Kanela is an urban safe-haven for a relaxed meal after a long, hustle-bustle weekend. My date brought the Sunday Trib, normally I'd be perturbed by the absence of conversation, instead I enjoyed the Living section, (for food and dining of course) my tall cup of coffee, and my ham and cheese crepes.





{Ham and Cheese crepe with chives and herbed baked potatoes}

{Spicy feta omelette with whipped feta, red onion, red chili pepper, tomato, and toast. When they say spicy, listen up, this isn't for the faint of heart}
What I'd go back for:
  • The coffee
  • The great service and affordable price
  • The portobello benedict
  • Stuffed french toast with greek yogurt, berries, and an apple-jalapeno chutney
  • If I was feeling very indulgent, the bacon waffle with chocolate bacon, bourbon caramel, and bacon dust

No comments:

Post a Comment